Paul was born at 11:58PM March 16th, 2010 Weighing in at 6lbs 15oz and 20in long!
This is how it all began...
Saturday night Ashley was over to spend the night and we stayed up til 4-5AM talking. I had been feeling a little funny, with what felt like cramps but nothing strong enough to say it felt anything like a real contraction. And so... when I woke up contractions started. It was about 10:30 when I actually woke up... thinking it was 9:30 and planning on going to church but forgot to set the clocks ahead the night before... All day they were approximately 6 minutes apart, sometimes 3 or sometimes 10, but no shorter than 3 and no longer than 10. So, when they started getting to be 3-5 minutes apart for about an hour, we made the decision to go in to the hospital. When I arrived that night at about 8:30PM I was at about 3cm dilated, and almost completely effaced. And when I left the next day at about 5 PM I was the same! So frustrating! I think that I was a little scared that at any point I could progress very quickly at home and not be ready for it. But, that did not happen! So with opting to go home to wait it out a little longer we were told to call or come back when contractions were more consistantly 5 minutes apart or when my water broke. SO - I did my best to sleep, and finally fell asleep around midnight. Every hour to half hour I would wake up with a stronger contraction, and by 4 AM it seemed they were getting really close together. So much so that I couldn't get back to sleep and I waited until about 5, when they seemed to be right on top of each other, to go back to the hospital. So now it's 5 AM Tuesday the 16th. We all joked and thought how cool it would be if he come on the 17th so that he could be a St. Patty's Day baby, but... by this time... I didn't really care. Contractions started to slow down, then pick up... I was 3cm, then 4.... then maybe 5 then between 6 and 7... And just for me to get to 7 it took me until ... well now i don't remember, but I stayed at 7 until 10:30 PM and we agreed with our Dr. that if we hadn't progressed any further before 10 then we would start Pitocin. This was agreed upon because we also opted to have my water broke to help move things along ... Hours earlier. Anyway... Once the Pit started... there was no more time wasted. I went from 7 to 10 in about 30 minutes, since the Pit wasn't started until ... well I can't do math now either, but I do remember that it takes about 30 minutes to start working, and they started me off with a low dose and then by the time I had gotten to just about 10 cm I was having a real hard time not pushing... I just couldn't not. Ha... That was also scary, but I only had a few contractions with that feeling and then was able to push. 15 minutes later and 2 minutes before St. Patty's Day, Paul was born! Hurray! It was the most amazing experience I've ever had in my life and I would totally do it all over again.
God moved so deeply in little and big ways that made this whole experience what it was. He gave me wisdom to say no to pain relief the first night I was there, which kept me from getting an IV in my hand until I was really ready for it. Also, the decision to have my water broken when we did, and the pain relief I did receive and when. As well as when to call the Dr again so that I didn't hurt myself with pushing too soon and also so that I could push when I was finally ready to. And with some more meaningful things to others... My sister Kris was able to come and see me that night and stayed through to the end, helping me with breathing and rubbing my back. Ashley was also able to see me through by praying for me, calling/texting friends for me and doing whatever she could to make me as comfortable as possible. Lea, Jerry's mom, was able to see her first grandchild born, and also help by doing whatever she could do to make me as comfortable as possible. Jerry was there, the whole time, never passed out and didn't get so overwhelmed that he had to leave. He also didn't freeze, so he was able to see his first child born, cut his son's umbilical cord, gave him his first bath and love on me through it all! Doing whatever he could to make me as comfortable as possible. :) Dr. Lee was so great, patient, and cared enough to go through all my options with me as far as pain relief and what I could do to help move things along if I wanted and when. As well as come back to the hospital, even though he wasn't on call, to be the one to deliever Paul. Hurray! The nurses on staff were amazing as well. I had a few favorites and was glad I got to see them more than once or twice in the few days I was at the hospital.
We are so happy to finally be home... to sleep in our own bed and eat all the DELICIOUS food that my sister Kris made for us. What an amazing blessing she is.
Our cats are adjusting interestingly to Paul being around. Nala doesn't like him and Naomi couldn't care less.
Anyway, I know that I'm leaving stuff out that I want to include, but I'm also still exhausted and trying to keep up with what's going on now... :)
Thank you to everyone who was praying for us and who have been able to visit and share your lives with us in this time! We greatly appreciate it and the adventure has only just begun!
No comments:
Post a Comment